Skip to main content

Welcome to April

And here we are in April already... What a lovely day we had to begin the month- Warmer than usual for this time of year, and warm sunshine. The crew has been taking advantage of the warmer weather to get some outside projects done. Some of which I'll tell you about in this post. We are grateful to be here together as a family, with a roof over our heads, food on our table, and work to keep us busy.

I (Emily) have been transitioning to teaching my music lessons online through video chat programs. Since schools are currently closed, I am currently working from home as well- teaching lessons from the comfort of our music room. It's been an adventure...  While I've been doing that, the rest of the family has continued on with pretty much their normal lives. Here is what the rest of the crew has been up working on recently.

Maple syrup:
It's been a great year so far. We've already canned about 35 gallons of syrup. Last night we collected 350 gallons of sap. We are boiling some of it down today, and will do another boil tomorrow (most likely).

The guys made another version of a stove in which to cook down the sap.
This one holds 2 pans so we can do twice as much at a time 
(It saves on wood too, for which Matt, who has been cutting most of the wood to power our stoves, is grateful.)
The sales shed:

After sitting untouched since last November when it snowed, the crew resumed work on this building, and in two days, they got the roof sheeted & shingled, and the door & windows installed. It's starting to look impressive!


Now to get the inside finished....

Matt, Silas, and their cousin, have been hard at work on the project which I shared a couple pictures of in my last post. It's coming along nicely, and will going to be quite impressive when it's done. However, Silas has informed me that I can't share any more pictures until it's finished- so you'll have to wait..... (oh the suspense.) ☺

Here are a couple other random pictures from around the farm.
A few chickens happy to be scratching in the garden while the rooster stands guard

Pictures I took last night of the creek that runs through one of our sugar bushes.

Snow is leaving, more and more bare ground is showing- our crocuses are up and a couple of them are blooming. - Spring is on it's way, but April isn't over yet and I'm expecting that we'll get some snow yet this month.   

Y'all take care- be safe and stay healthy.
💗
Feel free to reach out if we can encourage you any way during this challenging time. 

"I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." 
(Ps 18:1-2 A psalm of David)
God is still in control and is worthy of our trust and praise. Rest assured that none of today's circumstances are happening without His knowledge.  

Comments

  1. That's a lot of maple syrup!! That's one serious boiler y'all have!! It looks really nice and warm there! It was spring here to but..... Then..... Well I guess it snowed again 😰 but now we'll appreciate spring all the more I guess!!😀 Here's a goofy little vid I made this morning, https://youtu.be/LmSi1ogCFro

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Spring Get-Away

We had a great trip this past weekend. Our family was able to get away for a few days before everything gets really busy on the farm. We headed south to the state of Missouri, and it was really fun to see tall green grass and trees fully leafed out, but then hard to come home to cooler weather, bare trees and brown. But spring is on it's way here too, right? (As I write this, it's cold outside and it's snowing- Can I go back to MO?) Enjoy some snapshots of the trip. The Laura Ingalls Wilder cabin near Pepin WI. I've always enjoyed her books and it was interesting to see just how small the "little house in the big woods" was. Only now it's surrounded by fields and cleared land. Not very big is it?! We made a stop at Bass Pro Shop near Des Moines (a city that was incorrectly pronounced for fun the entire trip). This was probably Silas' favorite part of the trip. He loved it and could have spent hours there.... however some of us were ready to ...

Montana 2024

   For our family trip this year we went to Montana! We took lots of pictures and I am finally getting some shared with you. Enjoy! On the way out, we stopped to see the North Dakota badlands in Teddy Roosevelt National Park.     The first night we camped at a campground on the East edge of Glacier National Park. The next day, we made our way through the park. Then we crossed the 560' Hungry Horse Dam and camped on the reservoir. The next day we went for a hike. Huckleberries!! The mountainside was covered in huckleberries and we had a lot of fun picking some to bring home. We went back to the East side of the mountains to camp that night, then hiked part way up the mountain the next morning before heading for home.

Groundhog Day 2020

Happy Groundhog Day!!    Do you remember one of my first posts about Groundhog day? You can find it here .  Hope that you have a great February!  I've got some pictures on the camera to share with y'all- and I hope to do a post later this week. :)