Tonight-- it was 9:00 before I turned my feet homewards from the pasture where I was moving fence for the sheep and goats. Over a quarter mile of land stretched between me and my destination. Darkness gathered as I started down the lane, but I looked up to see our house all lite up with lights in multiple rooms. As I proceeded I couldn't help but think how welcoming and inviting it looked, I couldn't wait to get there. Home! Tonight, I'm so thankful for this place I call home and the family who lives here. I know that wherever the day takes me, and at whatever time of evening I arrive, I know I welcome and at least one light will be on for me. I haven't spent a lot of time during the day at here at home this summer due to choices I've made about employment and other commitments, so when I am here- I appreciate it.
But I wasn't the only one who put in a long day. Several other members of the family were just finishing supper when I walked in the door. This is what summer looks like around here, long days of hard work put in by all members of the family, meals at sporadic times, work boots and caps close at hand. There is hay to make, garden to weed, veggies to put up for the winter, animals to move to fresh grass each day, cows to milk and calves to feed, and the list goes on.
I should have passed the responsibility of posting updates on the blog to someone else for the summer. I took pictures that I intended to post well over a month ago- they are still waiting... Hope to share some soon.
I'm ready to call it a day, my bed awaits. My brother isn't home yet, he usually comes home late when he works for a neighboring farmer- but we've left the light on for him...
But I wasn't the only one who put in a long day. Several other members of the family were just finishing supper when I walked in the door. This is what summer looks like around here, long days of hard work put in by all members of the family, meals at sporadic times, work boots and caps close at hand. There is hay to make, garden to weed, veggies to put up for the winter, animals to move to fresh grass each day, cows to milk and calves to feed, and the list goes on.
I should have passed the responsibility of posting updates on the blog to someone else for the summer. I took pictures that I intended to post well over a month ago- they are still waiting... Hope to share some soon.
I'm ready to call it a day, my bed awaits. My brother isn't home yet, he usually comes home late when he works for a neighboring farmer- but we've left the light on for him...
Comments
Post a Comment