Skip to main content

Need to laugh? Keep Reading. :)

I (Emily) really enjoy being a private music teacher. Having a full studio this year, has been fun and a lot of work. I love working with kids and building relationships with them. Laughing with them (and at them, when appropriate), listening to their stories, and hearing about their lives.... oh yeah, and we play music too... ☺

Usually at least once a week, I am highly amused by something a student says... Most aren't worth repeating as the context and student's personalty play a large part, but this week there where some classics! This collection of comments and conversations is from the past 5 or so months of teaching.  I hope they make you smile at least a little bit.

Let's start with practice (or rather lack-of-practice) conversations.  Some students will just admit that they didn't practice, others come up with rather interesting reasons as to why they didn't practice.

"We cram a lot of things into our days.... (student pauses).... Like vacuuming."  [I'm sure this student doesn't do much vacuuming himself--- especially based on his next sentence] "And I have to pick up my bedroom every 3 seconds, because otherwise it looks like a bomb exploded in there."  [okay, yeah, maybe you do live in a very messy house... but how do you find time to play those video games you were telling me about last week....?]

"I can't practice... Our keyboard is in our downstairs and my parents pile their clothes on top of it... and they'll yell at me if I move their clothes."  [I'm not buying this one, pretty sure that the parents would be okay with them practicing, even if it meant moving the laundry.]

This is my all time favorite: a 6 yr old boy walks confidently into our 3rd or 4th lesson of the year, abruptly stops in the middle of the room, groans, and tragically exclaims,  "Oh!!!  I FORGOT to PRACTICE"  [I guess practice never crossed his mind, until he was in the middle of my studio... ] 

I've heard lots of other reasons for not practicing. The good old standard, "I was busy", is true in many cases, some kids are involved in a lot of activities.  I'm waiting for the day a student will walk in and tell me why they practiced so much. 

A couple other fun stories from the studio:

1st grader gets ready to play one of her pieces, we look over the music and figure out where she should put her hands on the piano. She realizes that for this piece she doesn't need to use her left hand, and exclaims.  "No B's... No G's...  No left hand!... My life is FREEEEEE!!!"  

This same student tends to be a bit dramatic. She's also located the notes E and F on the piano and then said "It's like they are in love"  "Why?" I ask... "Because they are right next to each other!!"  [If you are not familiar with the piano, this one might not make a lot of sense. But she is correct, the white keys E and F on a piano are not separated by a black key like most of the rest of the notes are.... This means that B and C must also be in a relationship, because there isn't a black key between them either. ;) ] 


1st grade boy, in the middle of the lesson, randomly shared with me "I'm allergic to girls".... to which I respond "You are allergic to me??"  He continues "No, only at school. Want to know why?... Cause when I am around them I sneeze."    [I'm just glad he hasn't sneezed when I'm around him, or he might conclude that he was allergic to piano lessons or the piano teacher, who knows....]

You know you teach music in a rural area, when you have to explain what "rush hour" is to a 2nd grader. She didn't understand why the song in her book called Rush Hour had lyrics about honking trucks and cars. 

I asked a 4th grader if he had done anything unusual that week, he says "I ate lunch".  [No worries, he is from a good home, and gets fed regularly.]

I teach students throughout the school day at a charter school 2 days a week. I get kids from various classrooms in the building, but the gym is in the middle of everything, so I'm frequently dodging dodgeballs, or trying to stay clear of hockey sticks as I go to fetch a student. But perhaps the worst time to go through there is when the Pre-K and K class is playing freeze tag. I've gotten frozen before, and had to wait for help before I could resume whatever it was that I was on my way to do. ☺ 

That's enough for now, I hoped you laughed at least once while reading this. Laughter is good for the soul. Have a lovely weekend.
 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Spring Get-Away

We had a great trip this past weekend. Our family was able to get away for a few days before everything gets really busy on the farm. We headed south to the state of Missouri, and it was really fun to see tall green grass and trees fully leafed out, but then hard to come home to cooler weather, bare trees and brown. But spring is on it's way here too, right? (As I write this, it's cold outside and it's snowing- Can I go back to MO?) Enjoy some snapshots of the trip. The Laura Ingalls Wilder cabin near Pepin WI. I've always enjoyed her books and it was interesting to see just how small the "little house in the big woods" was. Only now it's surrounded by fields and cleared land. Not very big is it?! We made a stop at Bass Pro Shop near Des Moines (a city that was incorrectly pronounced for fun the entire trip). This was probably Silas' favorite part of the trip. He loved it and could have spent hours there.... however some of us were ready to ...

Montana 2024

   For our family trip this year we went to Montana! We took lots of pictures and I am finally getting some shared with you. Enjoy! On the way out, we stopped to see the North Dakota badlands in Teddy Roosevelt National Park.     The first night we camped at a campground on the East edge of Glacier National Park. The next day, we made our way through the park. Then we crossed the 560' Hungry Horse Dam and camped on the reservoir. The next day we went for a hike. Huckleberries!! The mountainside was covered in huckleberries and we had a lot of fun picking some to bring home. We went back to the East side of the mountains to camp that night, then hiked part way up the mountain the next morning before heading for home.

Cloud Peak Wilderness 2022

 (written by Grace) Here is the post you've all been waiting for!! We really enjoyed our first sibling backpacking trip. Here is the report... The idea for this trip started after we camped in the Bighorn Mountains the first time in 2020. Every so often it would get brought up and by the time we went to the mountains again in 2021, we were scouting and planning for 2022. We spent a lot of time last winter researching gear, food and trails. Just about anytime we were together the conversation would turn to backpacking.  Testing out tents in the yard: This was early spring, as soon as there was a bare spot of ground on the South side of the house. The stakes didn't go in very well...    The other two tents set up for seam sealing. How much food to pack was a big question. Everybody packed their own instant oatmeal, lunch, and snacks. That way you couldn't complain if you didn't have enough. :)   Packing snacks -- the best part of backpacking is the snack breaks, r...